Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Sugar free, Low carb, Short Bread (S)





A THMer and cake baker extraordinaire name Susie Z. posted a very good cookie recipe on the THM main page a while back that put me onto this recipe.  It was a cute little cookie with cream cheese in it and you rolled it up and chilled and sliced it off.   It looked like a great idea so I started tweaking and became more fascinated with this recipe the more I learned about it.  I shared my tweaks with her and started baking and making more changes to this recipe that turned out to be way more than just a cookie.  Everyone that tried it, loved it, so I have continued to experiement with it extensively.   I am now routinely subbing out up to 1/3 of the almond flour in recipes with extra fiber and protein powder.  First of all because it helps with weight loss, (that's always nice) and secondly because, most of the time it improves the texture and flavor of the baked product; which is the case with this cookie.  Susie's recipe had a cup of xylitol in it.  I love the sweetness of xylitol, but normally, it does not love me.  I've discovered though, that if I cut the full amount in half and sub in either erythritol for the other half  or mix in a small amount of stevia, the problem is solved.  Since so many people love xylitol I like to post recipes with it from time to time so I went with the xylitol as Susie had done but cut it in half.  You might be able to substitute Sweet Blend or Truvia in here, but it will change the consistency of the cookie and since I have already cut it down from 1 cup sweetener to 1/2 and since it is one of the best cookies I have ever eaten (sugar free or otherwise) I decided to leave it.   It is also one of the easiest cookies I have ever made, just mix in one bowl, roll it up in parchment and pop it in the freezer for later or line a skillet and press it into the pan and cook! Here are a few of my latest variations of this healthy version of a classic shortbread cookie.   You will find more information on shortbread here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortbread
Below I pictured this cookie made into skillet shortbread.  The ingredients and amounts for the Pecan Shortbread cookie and the Skillet Shortbread are the same.
 

1/2 cup butter
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup erythritol or xylitol or a combination of the two is my favorite 
1/4 tsp THM stevia (or Kal organic stevia)
1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup psyllium powder or oat fiber (Now brand psyllium powder is available in 1 pound bags or you can order the oat fiber from the trimhealthymama.com  store.
1/4 cup THM protein powder or other plan approved plain whey protein powder
1/2 cup pecans

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Place the butter and cream cheese in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave briefly to soften.  Cream together with a large fork or slotted spoon.  Whisk in xylitol and stevia then add in flours and protein powder.  Stir in pecans till mixed and then plop the whole thing out onto a sheet of parchment paper.  Fold paper over and shape into a nice fat log then open and check to make sure it is evenly shaped.  I like to keep this roll nice and fat for big plump soft cookies, so if you're going for crispy make your adjustment here.  Roll up and fold the ends of the paper together then put into the freezer till it hardens, for a minimum of 30 minutes.  Remove from the freezer and slice into 1/2" pieces and lay out on a fresh sheet of parchment and bake for about 10 minutes or longer till lightly browned. Watch them carefully so they don't burn.  Remove from oven and allow to cool well before attempting to remove from the parchment paper.  Like all shortbread cookies, see article above, they become very firm when totally cooled, but are easily broken until then. Makes 12 to 18 cookies.  





Once the dough is rolled up freeze until firm, or longer.

When ready to bake remove from the freezer and slice and bake!


Chocolate "Hazelnut" Shortbread Cookie
Follow recipe above but add 2 tablespoons cocoa, 1/2 tsp Watkins hazelnut flavor, and
leave out the pecans.

For Skillet Shortbread 
Preheat oven to 300 instead of 350 degrees.  Transfer  dough onto an 8-10 inch  parchment paper lined skillet and bake until golden brown, as shown 20-30 minutes or golden brown on both sides.  COOL completely before handling.  Will fall apart when warm but not otherwise..





L

1 comment:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.