Lately, I've been focusing on E meals more and I'm finding them more and more beneficial. I'm not hungry as soon after eating them as I used to be, which makes me wonder if it is because I had focused so much on the S that I have become a little depleted of the wide range of nutrients to be assimilated from these carbohydrate rich foods, or if I'm just needing to refuel my carb stores in general? Anyway, if you used to be dissatisfied after the E meals and lately have just been throwing anything together to call it an E you should try focusing on them again, because they might just hit the spot for you now...I know this one did for me.
First the sausage. I made these into patties but intend to make more and brown it in the skillet for pizza tonight!
1 pound of ground turkey
(I get a great tasting organic for $3.99 per pound from Kroger)
1 1/2 teaspoons Gwen's brown sugar sub http://www.gwens-nest.com/sugar-free-brown-sugar-recipe/ Very handy recipe to make and keep around!!
1 cup sugar free sweetener of your choice, like erythritol or xylito
¾ t. molasses, blackstrap is preferred*
2-4 drops extract of your choice: butterscotch, maple, or rum
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground thyme (I used the flakes)
1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
3/4 teaspoon ground sage (optional) - we have some epilepsy in our extended family and sage can trigger attacks so I just leave it out, but I'm sure it would be good in here and make it "sausage-ier".
1/2 teaspoon dried pepper flakes (could sub the ground kind but might be hotter)
Thoroughly incorporate the spices into your ground turkey.
Shape into patties and cook on a skillet or griddle lightly sprayed with oil, I used coconut and it was good! Brown them well on each side over medium/high heat.
Once they are browned at a higher heat, turn down the heat to medium low and cover them for just a few minutes, but check on them often. They might need to be pressed down and flipped once or twice to make sure that they get done but covering them really condenses the heat in there and cooks them quickly. It can also cause them to release too many juices and become dried out so don't over cook them at this stage. I did not have this trouble with them...but just be aware.
*This makes a mild sausage but turn up the heat by just adding more and adjusting to your families individual tastes.
*We are used to spicy so it may not be mild to you!
* 2 or 3 teaspoons of Italian seasoning replacing the other seasonings (except salt) would make this Italian
For Ezekiel French Toast
4 slices Ezekiel bread (any but raisin)
1/4 cup egg whites (you can use more if you want it thicker, I'm just trying to soften this tough bread with milk and hold it all together with egg)
1/2 tsp vanilla and
1/2 tsp. maple extracts (optional)
1/2 tsp sweet blend (or 1 tsp. truvia)
Whisk this together and dip the bread into it.
Let that tough bread soak for a minute. I was originally just trying to get a decent piece of toast out of this, but if you want a "fuller" french toast experience just add more egg to the mixture and soak a little longer. This was really good though, try it both ways if you like.
Now lift the pieces of bread out carefully with a spatula and put them onto the griddle/stick free skillet that has been PREHEATED OR IT WILL STICK AND NOT WORK RIGHT! Also, I cook these on a pretty high heat as shown but you might have to adjust for your situation.
I LIKE IT!
If you have some plain erythritol or even xylitol, powder it and sift it over the top of these it is delightful! I put some on but the melted before I could snap the photo.
Maple Syrup
1 cup of HOT water (not boiling)
1/4 cup erythritol or xylitol if that is what you use
1/4 tsp. THM stevia or KAl if you don't have THM but I can't recommend any others.
Whisk this in quickly and then whisk in:
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
Whisk whisk whisk and let it foam it will subside but get all the lumps out, not hard if the mixture is nice and hot.
1 tsp maple flavoring (I use WalMart's Watkins and it is good but I'm looking for better.
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp butter extract optional










No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.