Thursday, December 11, 2014

Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels! (Texas Pimento Cheese) S

I made these for a snack the other night and as I was rolling them up I thought,
"This would make a good THM holiday finger food,"  and then "hey, I have THM friendly food blog!".  Well, one thing lead to another and here they are! This really is my "pimento" cheese, I'm not joking.  It contains the magic cheese mixture of 1 part cheddar to 1/2 part cream cheese and when you see that mixture combined with almost anything...you are probably looking at a winner!


4 oz. cream cheese - softened
8 oz. medium cheddar cheese (good quality and best to grate it yourself)
2 tablespoons hot(not sweet) pickled jalapeno peppers - chopped up well
1/4 to 1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
4 strips of thick cut bacon (or good flavored turkey should work too)
5-6 small Mission low carb tortillas with 3 net carbs (these were the ones I had but any on plan tortilla)

Cook the bacon while you assemble the other ingredients, I like to cook it on low with a  covere until it's brown for best flavor, then uncover and crisp on higher heat.
Put the cream cheese in a large bowl by itself and microwave it for 30 seconds. Should be mushy, not melted, the consistency of mayo. Finely grate the cheddar and put it in the bowl with the cream cheese, chopped jalapenos and mayo.

Drain and chop the bacon and mix it into the cheeses.

To assemble heat the tortillas two at a time to soften, I microwave for 10 seconds or so, just make sure your heat source softens and doesn't dry them out.
Spread the cheese mixture in a wide strip all the way out to the edges, so you don't end up with wasted tortilla on the ends.  The strip has to be thick so that it will fan out as you roll it toward the outer edge.  (See photo if you have not made them).
As good as these are to make ahead and take they are even better for snacks when heated for 10 seconds.  Melty, gooey, yummy movie watching snack food!

Soften the cream cheese for 30 seconds to consistency of mayo.  I used sharp cheddar here but it is strong so the kids might like medium better.
Cut up 4 pieces of bacon and fry.
Slice the bacon into small pieces.
Mix all together.
My photo editor was not working properly, but this is upside down.  Roll from the top side toward you or just rotate yours, ;-).  Notice the cheese is all the way outside to prevent wasting the end of the tortillas.  As you roll the cheese should roll toward the empty edge and fill it all in if you use these dimensions.
This made five of these and approximately 4 1/2 of them made them onto the plate for the photos.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder how well these would work using a Joseph's lavash instead of the tortillas!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.