Saturday, September 13, 2014

Easy Sugar Free Flavored Syrups for S E or FP


This post has been moved to my new blog home:





Update for best results!  Add the sweetener to hot water then sprinkle on Xantham while water is still very warm and whisk  briskly.   Use the best flavoring or extracts that you can they are not all created equal!


16 comments:

  1. Can these be canned/preserved for later? Usual canning process? Would love to have available from our kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I never thought of that, but I really doubt it. The problem is the erythritol, it just crystalizes in syrup form at least, under any substantial temperature increase. In fact, you can even notice a crispness in any baked goods that have a large amount of it in them. That is what is so good about blending it with stevia, because that allows you to use less erythritol and get the sweet power of sugar without the bulk of a sugar that is not as stable as we are used to. Xylitol is not as bad in that area, but sylitol has it's own problems and I do not recommend it because it is so hard on digestion. But the good news is that once you've whipped up a couple batches of this stuff it is just a snap and pretty well foolproof if the directions are followed. Thanks and let me know how you like it.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing your proven recipes! This helps so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is butter flavouring? I've never heard of it, but am curious to try these!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.frontiercoop.com/products.php?cn=Butter+Flavor Here's some info on it and it's probably not something we would want to eat a lot of on a daily basis. I was dealing with a maple extract that I thought needed some help to get the flavor richer, but you might could get a better brand. The caramel is also a flavor and not an extract but again I just felt that these small amounts in a condiment should be acceptable and as far as I know they are acceptable on the THM plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does this need refrigeration? Or can it just sit on the counter? For how long??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Teresia! Thanks for the recipes. I wonder if you have used THM Sweet Blend, and if so, how would you sub that? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you tried this using the sweet blend? Thank you so much for figuring this out!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since neither stevia or erythritol tend to feed bacteria and molds like sugar (probably nothing in this world does that) I am not nervous about leaving it out for a while but I do keep it in the fridge and what I like is that the consistency does not change noticeably when it is cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do use sweet blend and I love it. I just don't like the stevia and syrup combination that much and the sweet blend seems to have more stevia. I always use sweet blend for baking and most everything else (when I'm not out) and it may just be the flavorings that I was working with and you might be able to use it with yours. Try it, just use 2 tablespoons and let me know how if it works and what flavoring brands you use.

      Delete
  9. Can you use Guar gum instead of xantham gum. I will also need to sub sweeteners since stevia and I don't get along well. Ragweed allergy :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joy thanks for stopping by! I'm afraid that I have no experience with guar gum. The thickeners that I am aware of for THM are gluccomannan, and xanthan gum. They are both low carb and thicken well in very small amounts. You might check with an admin on the main face book page or go to trimhealthymama.com and ask the question there about the use of guar gum. But the good news is you can make your syrup with xylitol without thickeners if you can tolerate that sweetener. It is more stable than erythritol under higher temperatures so just try 1/2 cup water to 1/2 cup xylitol and simmer it for a few minutes and it will thicken slightly. Then add a pinch of salt and your choice of flavorings. I use 1 tsp to a cup of syrup so I would say try 1/2 tsp maple for this amount of syrup and 1/4 tsp vanilla if you would like to make the maple syrup. Xylitol is not preferred because it can cause intestinal distress in some people (quite a few really) so just use it sparingly and since it is a condiment the amounts you use should be negligible. Using the xylitol in this way you should not need a thickener but there is a possibility that it will crystalize during storage so if this occurs just make it in small amounts or reheat it. The original recipe was formulated to be shelf stable in the friidge, but I think you will like the flavor of this recipe very well. Hope this helps.

      Delete
  10. Wow!!!! Thank you for this post. This is truly inspirational!!! I have had the same issues trying to thicken syrup with glucomannon too, which is unfortunate because I prefer it over gums. Gums can be really hard for some people's digestive system; I am one of those people who can't tolerate gums very well.
    I'm going to play around with pea starch as a thickener, since it is low allergenic, low glycemic, and high in fiber and protein.
    I will be sure to keep you posted to see if this is one of the "magic" ingredients to creating an awesome, healthy, sugar free syrup!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. does it HAVE to be THM xanthum/glucommanan?
    Thanks!
    -Monika

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.