Monday, September 22, 2014

Pumpkin Maple Spiced Trifle - THM - S


This recipe is a compilation of a few projects that I have been thinking about lately...a brainchild, I guess you might say.  I guess if I never made another dessert I could say that I could rest as a satisfied cook and this would be a good sugar free Grand Finale, because it is really outstanding. 

I grew up eating a spice cake that is very similar in flavor to this one...a friend of our family used to make a prune cake and top it with a cooked sweetened condensed milk that would now be considered a dulce de leche icing. Maybe a little rich for everyday, but if you want to WOW people at your holiday gatherings with an "I can't believe this is a sugar free dessert"...here's your ticket.   The filling is a copycat Appleby's blondie maple cream sauce that I made with my Easy Homemade Sugar Free Maple Syrup consisting of erythritol, stevia, water, maple and butter flavorings...like I said EASY!  Give this a try.

Pumpkin Spice Cake.  I used the Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Cake from AllDayIDreamAboutFood, because the flavors blended perfectly with the maple filling for this cake.  Instead of slow cooking though, I cooked it in the oven at 350 degrees in a casserole dish.

(It calls for swerve which is on plan and available at HEB stores, but you can sub erythritol cup for cup...just add a couple of donks of stevia if you do so and it will be good).  If you have a really good Pumpkin Spice Cake that you just love then you can easily substitute...this one held up really well in the trifle bowl though and I've never tasted a better spice cake.  If you don't have a trifle bowl a pretty glass bowl with a tall lip and enough room will do or even individual parfaits would work.

Maple/Butter Syrup
1 cup very hot water- Do Not Boil-
1/4 cup truvia-erythritol/stevia blend (I use 1/4 cup erythritol and 1/4 tsp THM stevia
Immediately, while the mixture is warm sprinkle on:
1/8 teaspoon xanthum gum (depending on the consistency that you want.)
Whisk it around for just a minute or two and it will start to thicken up.  I could not sub glucomannan here.
1 dash of salt (don't leave out the salt)
1 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 teaspoon butter flavoring (optional)
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pour into the container of your choice I put mine into a reused maple syrup jar and it has maintained it's consistency for days now. Store in the fridge.

Trifle Filling 
In a sauce pan melt:
1/4 cup butter, remove from heat and beat in
1/3 cup sugar free brown sugar (1/3 cup erythritol to 1/4 tsp blackstrap molasses & 1/8 tsp. stevia -(got this from Gwen's nest..gotta love her) (you can use regular molasses and 1/16 tsp stevia (2 donks))
To this mixture add:
8 oz softened cream cheese
1/2 cup maple/butter syrup
Stir in
1/2 tsp maple extract
(This is a good topping as it is, but I remembered it as a little sweeter and my cake was pretty mild so I added a little extra tsp of THM sweet blend or a tablespoon of powdered erythritol, and got it closer to what I thought it should be

Whipped Cream Topping
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Truvia or THM sweetener to taste (not over 1 or 2  tblsp for sweet blend)

Whip together and assemble Trifle:

Cut up 1/2 the cake and put it in the bottom of the bowl

Layer this with 1/2 the Filling
Then 1/2 the whipped cream

Now put in the rest of the cake and layer in the filling, finishing with the rest of the whipped cream.  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.